top of page

Any business that intends to employ staff in The Netherlands must register as an employer. It doesn't matter whether you have a branch/permanent establishment or a company established in The Netherlands. When you are registered you will receive a payroll tax number. This number is used to file payroll tax returns. To register as an employer in the Netherlands is a simple process. However, to file the Dutch payroll tax returns, it’s advised that you involve a ‘payrolling’ company in The Netherlands.

The same tax rules apply to a ‘permanent establishment’ in The Netherlands as for a company established in The Netherlands. Meaning that when the above mentioned requirements are met you are liable to withhold payroll taxes and filing the tax return.  For personnel hired through an intermediary or subcontractor, the intermediary or subcontractors are liable for the contributions and payroll tax. For shareholders/employees working in The Netherlands but residing outside of The Netherlands it depends on the facts whether they are covered by the Dutch national insurance schemes or not.


  • A wage/payroll tax number is necessary if a BV employs employees. This is usually the case because the DGA of a BV is also regarded as an employee for tax purposes. At least one usual wage must be paid to a DGA, for which the company is responsible to withhold wage taxes.

  • Are you an employer of (your own) children, home staff, artists or professional athletes? Then you should not send this form, but one of the following forms to register as an employer:: – Melding loonheffingen werkgever van meewerkende kinderen – Melding loonheffingen werkgever van personeel aan huis – Melding loonheffingen aangifte doen voor artiesten of beroepssporters. These forms can be downloaded at the

  • The definitions ‘payroll’ or ‘wage tax’ number are are often used interchangeably, but they mean the same thing.


Registration requirement for Foreign companies

Foreign companies are, the same as Dutch companies, obliged to register as an employer and deduct taxes from their employees if the following requirements are met:

  • The registered office of the company is based in The Netherlands

  • The company has a permanent establishment in The Netherlands (see our blog about substance)

  • Personnel is post or hired in or to The Netherlands

  • The employee works on the shelf of The Netherlands

  • The employee falls under the Dutch insurance schemes

The employees’ data has to be kept in their personal records. As an employer you are responsible for the amount of deducted payroll taxes being withheld from the employees salary. Meaning that you have to calculate the right amount of contributions and taxes. After this a tax return needs to be filed before the date the taxes become due.

Our Annual

Holiday Sale

Add information about the promotion here. Click to edit the text and any details about the sale you want users to know.


Temporary personnel

When temporary personnel is hired through an intermediary or subcontractor things are different. These intermediary or subcontractors are liable for the contributions and payroll tax for those employees.


How will the Dutch wage tax number be used?

As an entrepreneur you will be employing personnel, these personnel must be paid. In the Netherlands, as an employer you are obliged to pay certain contributions and taxes on the wages you pay to your employees. Without information, however, the tax authorities do not know how much salary has been paid, and how much premiums and tax have to be paid on it. That is why there is a payroll tax return, you as an entrepreneur inform the tax authorities by how much salary has been paid and how many premiums and taxes you have to pay. You do not have to worry about difficult calculations, if you outsource your payroll with us, we will take care of all tax returns and contact the tax authorities. In order to be able to file this tax return, however, a payroll tax number is required, so the tax authorities know which entrepreneur has filed a tax return.

to Our Site

Welcome visitors to your site with a short, engaging introduction. Double click to edit and add your own text.

How to apply for a Dutch payroll tax number?


You can apply for a Dutch payroll tax number with the tax authorities using the form “register employer”. If the registration has been received by the tax authorities, you will receive a “declaration of payroll taxes”. Here it mentions the periods for which a wage tax return must be filed in the Netherlands. This letter also contains your payroll tax number and, if applicable, a letter where the tax authorities indicate which sector you are an entrepreneur. This has to do with the employee insurance contributions to be paid. You will also receive a letter with the percentage for the differentiated premium Whk. No idea what to do with this data? If you let us take care of your salary administration, we will arrange that all returns are sent correctly and on time.

How does house of companies work?


What if you don’t pay out any salaries (temporarily)?

If you decide to work without personnel for a certain period of time or temporarily continue without personnel in your company, it can be considered to cancel your payroll tax number. After cancellation, you no longer have a duty to submit the payroll tax return. If you do not cancel the payroll tax number, you will remain obliged to file payroll tax returns. These will then be ZERO declarations.

If you are not sure whether you will be hiring staff again soon or at all, it is best to cancel your payroll tax number with the Tax and Customs Administration. This ensures that after the processing period at the Tax Authorities (approximately 8 weeks) you are exempt from the declaration obligation and you no longer have to worry about filing the declaration, or you save the costs that your salary administrator has to pay for it. calculates. You can only cancel your payroll tax number in writing with the tax authorities. Click on the link below to download a sample letter that you must send to your regional office of the Tax Authorities.

If you decide to hire staff after a certain period, you can easily request your payroll tax number again. You do this in exactly the same way as you did it the first time.


Tutorial: How to register as an Employer of Records in The Netherlands

Our tutorial will provide you full translations of the complete form, and instructions on how to complete it.





Category | Business Formation


This article will inform you on the different types of Dutch legal entities


Get all the information you need to start a Dutch BV yourself!


Get all the information you need to start a Dutch NV yourself!


Start a branch in the Netherlands without involving a notary!


How to start a sole proprietorship in the Netherlands in a few simple steps.


A holding company is really just a BV (Private Limited Company).


In this article we will explain you the details of the Formation Deed, and why they are so important.


A company name is officially called a 'trade name'.


Local Registered Address

Get your Dutch address in a heartbeat! And understand why!

Read Full Article


Start a Dutch NGO

Do you aim to have NO profit? The Dutch Stichting is perfect as NGO!

Read Full Article


Registered address requirement

The legal requirements and conditions of your Dutch virtual office.

Read Full Article


Company Formation Netherlands

Company Formation Netherlands explained in detail.

Our Services

  • What is House of Companies?
    House of Companies is in first instance a new concept in offering flexible office solutions and registered office addresses, covering more than 4.000 locations. Aside from full service office facilities (from dealing with your mail, to answering the phone) , we offer a ‘branch out membership’ which provides you the tools to start a new business, or keep your business running, at the lowest costs possible. House of Companies is located at an amazing mansion, on a 50.000m2 estate in the Netherlands offering room for hundreds of companies. But we also offer +4.000 locations in cooperation with partners.
  • Can anybody use the services of House of Companies?
    Yes, basically anybody can use the services of the House of Companies. Even if you are not an entrepreneur yet! Our services are very low-key which allows companies of any sizes to expand overseas. We do have a strict onboarding process in place, and don’t deal with companies focused on tax avoidance, or who have operations in sanctioned countries, as well as certain sensitive industries.
  • Is using a registered office address legal?
    Yes, 100% legal! Our team has over 10 years experience in providing registered office services, and our locations meet the standards of the Dutch Chamber of Commerce. Our locations provide a full time reception, and our locations are always able to provide you a working space when need be.
  • Do I pay taxes when I use a virtual office in the Netherlands?
    A ‘virtual office’ typically does not pay taxes (yet). This is not due to a special tax status, but simply because a virtual office has no actual operations (or substance) yet (or has not started to make a profit, doing sales, or employing staff). In fact, a ‘virtual office’ is typically considered a ‘representative office’ and is not required to be registered at the Chamber of Commerce. Such requirements might change, once you perform any actual services from the Netherlands, or goods are stored and processed here. In case of doubt, it might be necessary to discuss your situation with a lawyer or accountant, but much information on this topic is available in our Dashboard.
  • Does a Dutch company require a local address?
    In many cases a local company registration requires a local business address. Especially in (Western) European countries this is very common. There are some exceptions, especially in case of a branch registration (or a representative office). A registered office address is required to receive official government letters, and in come cases also to open a local corporate bank account.
  • Can my Dutch business open a bank account?
    Yes, a business dealing on the Dutch market can also open a corporate bank account. However, this is becoming more challenging. House of Companies can inform you about European banks that can open bank accounts for any kind of European entity, without a visit to the bank required.
  • When is a registered office address convenient for me?
    A registered office address is convenient for any kind of business, that is planning to expand to a new market, and is taking it step by step. A registered office address (or virtual office) allows you to explore a new market, while limiting your expenses. It’s not about being ‘virtual’, but it’s about avoiding as much bureaucracy and legal expenses as you can, while your business is not yet at its full capacity. Our tools allow you to get an understanding of the legal framework of a country, so you are able to make the decisions for yourself, rather than having to rely on an accountant or lawyer.
  • Can I really submit my corporate tax return myself, without any charges?"
    Yes, anybody can submit their corporate tax return themselves, without any help from an accountant. Our Dashboard provides you the detailed information, step by step, on how to login to your online Tax Portal, and to file your tax return. Obviously, the more complicated your company activities (and transactions) the more complex your tax return will look like. But if you have almost no operations, then you can save thousands of euros in accounting fees, without requiring any accounting skills! Once your company grows, we offer more detailed information, so you can learn along the way. Or you can decide to involve an accountant at that stage.

Expand your business anywhere in the world.

Launch and run your business from one Control Panel

bottom of page