top of page

Introduction to submitting your Dutch Corporate Income Tax Return

This guide provides you with all the information to submit your (dormant) corporate income tax return, by yourself!
No accountant or tax lawyer is needed in The Netherlands, especially if your Dutch business has hardly performed any operations. Our Guide, comment section, and other Dashboard pages will provide you all information required, to handle these tax formalities yourself.
Submitting your Dutch tax return is easy, but, if your company is part of a complex structure, or deals with complicated transactions, you might want to double check with a tax advisors.

In case your company has made a profit, you need to consider that you need to pay the corporate taxes timely. You will also have to pay interest on the due taxes. To avoid any interests, you can request for a provisional tax assessment, once it’s clear that you expect a taxable profit for a certain book year.

Our tutorial is meant for:

  • Dormant companies who have not started their Dutch business yet

  • Trading companies, with few purchase and sales invoices

  • Active companies, managed by entrepreneurs who have experience with accounting software

For small Trading Companies, or Active companies (that deal with staff, subsidiaries, or other matters) we provide additional Articles that allow you to file the corporate income tax return yourself. In case of doubt, you can call the Tax Hotline (Belastingtelefoon), or use our Comment section. does not provide any active support in this process ourselves.

Our Annual

Holiday Sale

Add information about the promotion here. Click to edit the text and any details about the sale you want users to know.


When to submit your Dutch corporate tax return

Is your financial year equal to the calendar year? Then you must submit the declaration before 1 June of the following calendar year. Do you have a broken financial year? In that case, you must submit a declaration within 5 months after the end of the financial year.

How do you check your financial year? Your Dutch Formation Deed mentions this, typically on the final page

When the Formation Deed shows that the first book year will end at 31-12 of the next year, it means that from that point on, your financial book years will always end the 31st of December.

Alternatively you can check your extract of the Chamber of Commerce (KvK).

When you receive an invitation letter from the Tax & Customs Administration, the financial book year is typically also mentioned on it, including the required final filing date.

Shortened financial year

In the case of a short financial year ending on 31 December, your declaration must be submitted on 1 June of the following year. Does your short fiscal year end in another month? Then you must file a declaration before 1 April of the following calendar year.


Online Filing options for your Dutch corporate income tax return

There are two ways to submit your Dutch corporate tax return digitally

  1. You can use the online Portal, provided by the Tax & Customs Administration

  2. You can use an accounting software, which allows tax filing

In most cases, it’s no longer possible to submit a corporate tax return via a hard copy Form. Only for non resident companies, this is still an option. (For example, when you use a Dutch BV which is not effectively being managed and controlled from the Netherlands).

When you submit your tax return online, you need to consider that:

to Our Site

Welcome visitors to your site with a short, engaging introduction. Double click to edit and add your own text.

Who needs to submit a Dutch corporate tax return?


All Dutch Private and Public Companies must submit a Dutch corporate tax return. A Dutch Foundation, or Assocation,  can also be required to file a corporate income tax declaration in certain situations. Government companies are also liable to pay corporate tax. Overseas companies that have registered a branch in the Netherlands, also require to submit a tax return.

In some cases, your Dutch company (incorporated by Dutch Company Law) is not considered a Dutch tax resident (based on Dutch fiscal law).

This can be relevant for the taxability of your ‘Dutch’ taxes, and it might also allow you to submit your corporate tax return via a hard copy form.

Domestic and foreign taxpayers

Entities established in the Netherlands are resident taxpayers. Foreign taxpayers are entities that receive income from the Netherlands, but are established abroad.

Whether a company is established for tax purposes in the Netherlands depends on:

  • the place where the management is established,

  • the place of the head office,

  • the place where the shareholders' meeting takes place.

Bodies incorporated under Dutch law are established in the Netherlands according to the Corporation Tax Act.

National taxpayer: file a digital tax return

If you are a resident taxpayer, you file a digital tax return. This can be done in the following ways:

  • via the website of the Tax and Customs Administration

  • with declaration or administration software

  • via a tax intermediary.

You can read more about this for which taxes do you file a digital declaration?

Foreign taxpayer: declaration on paper or digital

Are you a foreign/non-resident taxpayer? Then you can use the paper declaration form for foreign taxpayers. You can request this from the Tax Information Line  for non-residents (Heerlen).

You can also file a digital tax return in the following ways:

  • with tax or administrative software

  • via a tax intermediary.

How does house of companies work?


Requesting a postponement to submit your Dutch tax return

You can request a postponement in 2 ways:

  • Digitally: By logging into your Tax Portal. You will need to activate your account (e-kenning) as described in our Dashboard pages.

  • Hard Copy Form: You can download and submit the form: Application for deferment of corporate income tax return. This is a pdf. You fill out this form on your computer and then send it by post to your tax office. We will be providing an English translation for this form shortly. In the meantime, your browser might allow a translation option.

You will receive a response from the tax authorities within 3 weeks.

The standard deferral period is 5 months. Would you like to delay longer? Please indicate your reasons on the form.


Checking your (provisional) tax assessment

The provisional assessment (of your profits, and thus expected taxes to be paid) is typically not relevant for companies who are in their first year of business. Unless you already expect to earn a high profit, in that case it can be suggested to apply for a provisional assessment, to avoid high interest charges at the end of the financial book year. Although you are only required to pay your corporate taxes, after an assessment has been issued (for example, after you submitted your tax return, some months after the end of the book year) the Tax & Customs Administration will claim interest, per date of the start of the book year.

Once you receive your provisional assessment (called the: Voorlopige Aanslag) you can check if it’s correct. The amount of this assessment has been calculated based on data from previous years. Check your preliminary assessment. Do you expect a higher or lower taxable profit than is stated on your assessment? Then request a change in your provisional assessment . You can also request a change if you do not agree with your provisional assessment. You cannot object to the preliminary assessment. You can object to the final assessment.

Objecting to the final assessment

Do you disagree with a final assessment or a corporation tax additional assessment? Then object.

One of the first things you check, if if the mentioned taxable amount, corresponds with the turnover and profit that you declared in your tax assessment form.

But before you will receive any tax assessment, the first step is to file your tax return. (In case you would not submit your tax return at all, you will receive an estimated tax assessment, at some stage. You can object against this, by submitting your tax return anyway.)

How to submit your Dutch corporate tax return


Before we discuss the complete tutorial on how to submit your corporate income tax return in The Netherlands, it’s important to understand how to login to your Tax Portal. These methods have changed the last few years.

There have been 2 type of tax Portals:

  • Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk/My Online Tax Portal (which will be continued). This login must be requested from a Dutch online security company.

  • Ondernemers (Entrepreneurs) login (which will be terminated). This login is provided automatically by the Dutch tax authorities.

In time, Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk will replace the old portal for entrepreneurs.

You file a declaration in either the old or new portal. However, you can only file a corporate income tax return 2019 and later years and the 2020 and later years payroll tax return in Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk (My Online Tax Portal).

What affairs can you (still) arrange in the Entrepreneurs Login?

VAT return, correction of VAT return (supplementation), ICP declaration, enter or change account number, wage return from tax year 2019, corporate income tax return from tax year 2018, apply for or change provisional assessment of corporate tax from tax year 2020.

What tax affairs can you arrange via ‘Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk’/My Online Tax Portal ?

With ‘Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk’ (My Corporate Tax Portal), the new portal for entrepreneurs, you as an entrepreneur can:

  • submit a VAT return, correct a VAT return,

  • declare an intra-Community performance statement (ICP statement),

  • or enter an account number

  • or make a payroll tax return for 2019 and later years

  • file a corporate tax return for 2018 and later years

  • Etc.

To My Corporate Tax Portal

The benefits of My Tax Office Business

My Tax Office Business works better on tablets and smartphones than the old portal for entrepreneurs. In addition, with DigiD and eHerkenning your privacy and safety are better arranged when you do online tax matters.

And if you submit a declaration via Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk, you can always view that declaration again. That is not possible in the old portal. While completing the declaration, correction or declaration, you can temporarily save your data. That is also new.

Logging in to Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk

Legal persons can log in with eHerkenning. In order to purchase an eRecognition tool, you must be registered with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (KVK).

Are you a self-employed person or do you run a sole proprietorship? Then you can log in with DigiD. Don't have a DigiD yet? Request it via If you cannot (or do not want to) use DigiD, you can also log in with eHerkenning. You also find an article in our Dashboard, on how to obtain e-herkenning.

Would you like to authorize someone for Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk?

You can do this in the following ways:

  • Authorize with DigiD Authorize

  • with eRecognition




Category | Business Formation


This article will inform you on the different types of Dutch legal entities


Get all the information you need to start a Dutch BV yourself!


Get all the information you need to start a Dutch NV yourself!


Start a branch in the Netherlands without involving a notary!


How to start a sole proprietorship in the Netherlands in a few simple steps.


A holding company is really just a BV (Private Limited Company).


In this article we will explain you the details of the Formation Deed, and why they are so important.


A company name is officially called a 'trade name'.


Local Registered Address

Get your Dutch address in a heartbeat! And understand why!

Read Full Article


Start a Dutch NGO

Do you aim to have NO profit? The Dutch Stichting is perfect as NGO!

Read Full Article


Registered address requirement

The legal requirements and conditions of your Dutch virtual office.

Read Full Article


Company Formation Netherlands

Company Formation Netherlands explained in detail.

Our Services

  • What is House of Companies?
    House of Companies is in first instance a new concept in offering flexible office solutions and registered office addresses, covering more than 4.000 locations. Aside from full service office facilities (from dealing with your mail, to answering the phone) , we offer a ‘branch out membership’ which provides you the tools to start a new business, or keep your business running, at the lowest costs possible. House of Companies is located at an amazing mansion, on a 50.000m2 estate in the Netherlands offering room for hundreds of companies. But we also offer +4.000 locations in cooperation with partners.
  • Can anybody use the services of House of Companies?
    Yes, basically anybody can use the services of the House of Companies. Even if you are not an entrepreneur yet! Our services are very low-key which allows companies of any sizes to expand overseas. We do have a strict onboarding process in place, and don’t deal with companies focused on tax avoidance, or who have operations in sanctioned countries, as well as certain sensitive industries.
  • Is using a registered office address legal?
    Yes, 100% legal! Our team has over 10 years experience in providing registered office services, and our locations meet the standards of the Dutch Chamber of Commerce. Our locations provide a full time reception, and our locations are always able to provide you a working space when need be.
  • Do I pay taxes when I use a virtual office in the Netherlands?
    A ‘virtual office’ typically does not pay taxes (yet). This is not due to a special tax status, but simply because a virtual office has no actual operations (or substance) yet (or has not started to make a profit, doing sales, or employing staff). In fact, a ‘virtual office’ is typically considered a ‘representative office’ and is not required to be registered at the Chamber of Commerce. Such requirements might change, once you perform any actual services from the Netherlands, or goods are stored and processed here. In case of doubt, it might be necessary to discuss your situation with a lawyer or accountant, but much information on this topic is available in our Dashboard.
  • Does a Dutch company require a local address?
    In many cases a local company registration requires a local business address. Especially in (Western) European countries this is very common. There are some exceptions, especially in case of a branch registration (or a representative office). A registered office address is required to receive official government letters, and in come cases also to open a local corporate bank account.
  • Can my Dutch business open a bank account?
    Yes, a business dealing on the Dutch market can also open a corporate bank account. However, this is becoming more challenging. House of Companies can inform you about European banks that can open bank accounts for any kind of European entity, without a visit to the bank required.
  • When is a registered office address convenient for me?
    A registered office address is convenient for any kind of business, that is planning to expand to a new market, and is taking it step by step. A registered office address (or virtual office) allows you to explore a new market, while limiting your expenses. It’s not about being ‘virtual’, but it’s about avoiding as much bureaucracy and legal expenses as you can, while your business is not yet at its full capacity. Our tools allow you to get an understanding of the legal framework of a country, so you are able to make the decisions for yourself, rather than having to rely on an accountant or lawyer.
  • Can I really submit my corporate tax return myself, without any charges?"
    Yes, anybody can submit their corporate tax return themselves, without any help from an accountant. Our Dashboard provides you the detailed information, step by step, on how to login to your online Tax Portal, and to file your tax return. Obviously, the more complicated your company activities (and transactions) the more complex your tax return will look like. But if you have almost no operations, then you can save thousands of euros in accounting fees, without requiring any accounting skills! Once your company grows, we offer more detailed information, so you can learn along the way. Or you can decide to involve an accountant at that stage.

Expand your business anywhere in the world.

Launch and run your business from one Control Panel

bottom of page